Monday 11 January 2016

THE TALKING SLIDE

THE TALKING SLIDE

It was bitter cold today, but this did not stop Polly from whisking down its bare back. The frosty metal sent shivers of fun through her. Faster and faster she slid each time she climbed the endless steps.  Up, up, up she went eager to swoosh along the cold silver slide. Polly loved to daydream while she road on the slide. She would close her eyes and envisage herself as a lovely princess on a white horse. On some days she would masquerade herself that she was a lost puppy looking for her mother. She wasn’t really sure what this meant. She fancied that she was really great at faking out things.

Polly continued hr trips up and down the slide. On what was may be her twelfth trip, a bizarre sound shot into the air. It was a very dire groan.  “What is that?” she exclaimed astonishingly, jumping off in horror off the end of the slide.

“Oh lord! Thank you! Came the answer over her shoulder.
“Who said that?” quizzed Polly circling round and round.
“I did”
Polly bent at the waist, jumped to one foot in awe and spun around.
She looked blank at the slide with her mouth wide open gaping in wonder as earth slipped beneath her feet. Two very doleful eyes peered at her with watery eyes. | “Thank you for getting off” uttered a giant mouth just below the teary eyes.
“My back really aches badly today”
Polly rubbed her eyes in dismay. Was this really happening?  She could not believe her eyes. Quickly she moved her eyes on  her mother who happily chuckled with her friend. Everything appeared alright. Polly glanced back at the slide.
“Excuse me” she muttered, did you speak to me?
“why yes I did.” Retorted the slide. I am extremely sorry if I startled you. But I cant take this torture anymore. Each and every day children merrily jump on me and race down my back.  It was fine when I was young and robust but I am now old and weary. I am not as tough and capable like my golden days. I absolutely adore children and especially you. Polly I shuuder when they dig their feet in my back. “ What can I do? Can you help me Polly?”
With that the enfeebled slide and began to wince in pain. His steps shook with each large wet tear. He pulled out a large white handkerchief and blew his nose wistfully. “if this keeps up I will soon be into a pile of steel and rubbished away into a pile of heap. I need some rest. The park is arranging for a new slide. Guess till then, I will have to be lionhearted. Polly stepped back in disbelief and blinked her eyes in amazement. It took her long minutes to understand. This weary kind hearted slide that provided years of enjoyment to children who made memories on it. Now the slide was asking for a favour. She felt dejected and important all at once.

Her tiny hand smoothly patted the aching steel. “What can I do?” Polly pondered for some time. She stepped towards her mother for help. “Would Mother believe me?” Polly gaped aloud. “A talking slide?” Polly was clueless and wondered how to help her friend.




No comments:

Post a Comment