Tuesday 12 April 2016

UNTOUCHABLE

Untouchable
Quite ugly and distasteful, I must seem to you, with hungry eyes that will lap up every detail even in darkness, and ears that talk to the silence; I must seem so horrible, with hair that touches the mountains, and fingers that wish to devour every crevice in the past present and future that shelters secrets deeper than time. There is no hope, you say, for someone like me, around whom a sea of the thickest waters forms an immortal vortex. You say I am dirty, with morsels of stars stuck in my teeth, and feet contaminated by the sewage of many unborn races. An untouchable - because I have touched too much. 
I am shunned from your society, told to drink my wine quietly and sit in the corner of the dark abbey no one walks in. So I sit, sipping on that wine, that old, old wine, that once ran through the veins of gods, and think about how I can roar into your faces and tell you of my adventures. I think, but then slump defeated, because I realize I don't have a sword strong enough to slice through your thick skin of truth. As you suck the honeybees dry and squeeze all the milk from the cattle and drain the lifeforce of the earth, I will hide under these covers and think of better things. Now and then you will throw me a bone of nutrition, so I do not die, because you are honourable people, who have rid the world of starvation. A little child may perhaps steal into the dark abbey to observe my ways for a moment, and he will marvel at how perverse I am, and how much I stink of faraway places, and maybe try and push a tiny plump finger into my arm. He will then jump up in pain and astonishment, and will run - at the speed of light - to his parents, and tell them of how he witnessed the creature with volcanoes beneath her skin.
I hide my little vials of love - multicoloured and marvellous - beneath the folds of my heart, easy to access in case of immediate need. 
Further and further I sink into the smouldering concrete, as I struggle to keep my nose to the sky. 



No comments:

Post a Comment